Thursday, February 05, 2009

Canes lose, hopefully will win tonight

Canes lost 4-3 to the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday. Previously, the Canucks had lost nine straight at home, and eight straight in general.

*facepalm*

Well, it certainly looks like that wonderful win against Atlanta was a fluke. Granted, I didn't watch any of the game, but comments like these taken from the TSN.ca article don't make me feel warm and fuzzy about this game:

[Alex Burrows] beat Carolina goaltender Cam Ward with what he has previously described as his ''only'' move faking a forehand and roofing a backhand. It was a move that Burrows has made many times before, but Ward went the wrong way and could not recover quickly enough.

''I like coming down that side when I go to my go-to move,'' said Burrows, a left-handed shot who raced down left wing. ''I think everybody in the building knew I was going to do that, but obviously Cam Ward watches Eastern Time games and he doesn't stay up late at night to watch our games.''

Oh boy. Yeah, I'm pretty glad that I was fast asleep when this game was on. I think a shorthanded goal against to lose the game would have put me in an absolutely horrible mood.

The real test, though, is tonight against San Jose, the leader of the Western Conference. If we can play with them and win (heck, normally I'd say just play with them, but that won't help us come April) then I feel that the Canes have a good shot. If we get steamrolled, I'm not going to be too optimistic about our playoff chances.

The Canes are going to be without Rod Brind'Amour in the game tonight. Apparently he came back to Raleigh because of "nagging lower body issues", and Jakub Petruzalek (best name ever!) was called up in his place. I'm not entirely sure that this is a bad thing, considering the captain's lame play pretty much the entire season.

Apparently, the Canes are also going to be going with Michael Leighton in goal tonight, a move I find somewhat peculiar, as Cam has started the last sixteen or so games. Why the change, and specifically, why the change against the best team in the West? Maybe they're looking for a change to spark the rest of the lineup. Whatever, I just hope it works out.

No comments: