Friday, January 12, 2007

Canes have ultimate third period

[As stated below, I conjured up this post during my Spanish exam earlier today. Factual corrections or later additions are in brackets.]

Ugh. I'm currently writing this during my Spanish exam. I have thirty minuted to burn, so I decided to write the post now, so I'll actually put some thought into what I'm writing an have an actual game recap - not the ramblings that I normally have. (Although there will be ramblings - sitting in a trailer taking an exam for 3 and 1/2 hours will do that to you).

Anyways... the game last night. Wow. Just wow. I don't know whether to be angry or happy, but I am kind of stunned.

The Canes came out in the first doing okay. There should have been a goal, but Mick McGeough proved once again why he is one of the most infamous refs in the NHL. Apparently he stopped play to call a penalty before the puck went in. But that's a bunch of crap. He needs to get contacts because he sees things that aren't there, that's for sure. Él es ciego y gordo.

So the game was 0-0 at the end of the first.
Then came the second period where the Canes went downhill fast and let Florida score 3 goals (2 in 30 seconds, I believe [Actually 2 in 50 seconds. But what does it matter? Just letting two goals in is crap.]). The Canes just didn't do anything good at all. At the end of the second, I hadn't given up hope, but, considering their play, I wasn't too optimistic.

Third period Chad LaRose nets one.
Now, I believe, if someone else on the Canes squad had gotten the goal, it wouldn't have been the same. The excitement in the arena after the goal was insane. I mean, how can you not be overjoyed when a guy like Chad, who gives 110% on every shift in every game, gets his second goal of the season?

After that, the goals just came in waves. Cole got the second, Walker stuffed one in behind Florida goalie Alex Auld to tie it, Stillman put the Canes ahead off of a nice Hutchinson pass, someone who I can't remember scored [Craig Adams], and somebody else got the empty net [Ray Whitney]. 6 goals in one period, a franchise record, I would think. [Nope, record is 7.]

Amazing, just amazing to come back from being down 0-3 in one period. It's just a feat to do that.
But then, I refrain from being too happy because the Canes dug themselves that hole to begin with, with their crappy defensive play [New guy, Seidenberg looked pretty good, though], and no offense whatsoever in the second.

And, because I still have 15 minutes to burn, I'll tell you why I think the Canes were able to pull it off: They played Led Zeppelin at the RBC Center.

Stop laughing.

No, I'm serious. Stop laughing.

I had noticed, in the last Pittsburgh game, when I was watching it on FSN, that "When the Levee Breaks" was playing. I thought to myself: They're playing that at the Igloo! How will we ever win?
End result: Pittsburgh wins 3-0.
In the first period, I heard "Rock and Roll", something that is never heard at the arena - Canes have a miraculous comeback to win the game.
Coincidence? I think not.

Erik Cole stats: 1 goal, 1 assist
On the season: 19 goals, 21 assists

No comments: