Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Whoa... Looks like we got us a goon!

"Whoa... No effin way!" is exactly what I said when I saw this:

Jesse Boulerice is resigned by the Carolina Hurricanes.

His contract is for $450,000 at the NHL level and $75,000 at the AHL level for one year.
I do not know what to think. I am kind of in shock.

You might remember that Jesse was traded to the Blues in the Doug Weight trade. You might also remember that he was the resident goon on the Canes - when he was on the ice, it wasn't to score, it was to punch the crap out of somebody.
It's always nice to have someone like that - livens up things, y'know? But Jesse is a dying breed in the new NHL, and his... lackluster goal-scoring skills didn't fit in with the Canes last year.
And I'm not sure that he'll fit in this year.
But he was a fan favorite - I thought he was kinda cool - well, I think anyone who drops the gloves is cool.
He'll spend the majority of the season in the AHL, 10-20 games in the NHL, and still manage to accumulate 50 PIM. That's my prediction.

But an interesting quote:
“Jesse has been working hard to prepare himself for the upcoming season,” said Karmanos. “We know what he is capable of, and he understands his role in our organization.”
Interesting... the first part alludes to the fact that he's not an actual good player... in fact, now that I think about it, he reminds me of Happy Gilmore - except without the killer slapshot. (If you haven't seen the movie, I apologize, but I'm not going to explain any more than that.)
But the interesing part is the "understands his role" part. Is this a kind of subliminal message to us saying "He is a goon, and shall always be a goon, and that is what he shall be on our team - a goon."

Well, I guess we wait til training camp to see if he makes the team.

No comments: