Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Blackhawks have won the Stanley Cup

I didn't see it coming.



No, really, I didn't see the Stanley Cup winning goal. I, like 90% of other people watching Game 6, had a thought process something like:

"Wait, did he just score? No, he didn't score. What the...? Where the heck is the puck?"

But Patrick Kane did score - 4 minutes into the overtime period - to win the Stanley Cup for the Blackhawks after a 49 year drought.

It means that the third time is the charm for Marian Hossa - the curse is over, which makes me kind of sad to lose that joke. But it means that Pronger, Carcillo and other players I don't like were stopped from raising the Cup above their heads. So it's all good, I guess.

I'm somewhat disappointed to not have a Game 7, just because I think that the fight between the two teams would have created some excellent hockey. But the series was great even without that - this Flyers team had so much fight in them. They should be proud that they were even to make a series of it - not many teams could recover after going down 0-2 to this Blackhawks team. Even in Game 6, the Flyers looked like they were dead in the second period, but they battled back again. Unfortunately, it seemed as if their luck finally ran out in the overtime.

So, what now? Hockey season is over - it's officially the offseason, probably the only instance where I will begin wishing summer to be over. I guess it's free agency and then training camp - maybe I'll get back to actually talking about the Canes.

Congratulations to the Blackhawks and their fans. I remember what it was like for the Canes to win their Cup, and I must say that I'm a little jealous to not be a part of it this year - maybe next?

No comments: