Monday, January 01, 2007

Game Recaps

Well, in my absence, the Canes went 1-for-3 against the NHL's two best teams, and the NHL's worst team.

On Thursday, the Canes lost 4-1 to Buffalo. This means that Buffalo swept the season series against the Canes.
I did not see any of the game because, believe it or not, I had better things to do. Namely, watch UNC beat Rutgers by 39 points. I will say that actually seeing the Heels in the Dean Dome is much more exciting than watching the game on TV.

On Friday, the Canes handed Anaheim their 6th regulation loss in a 4-2 victory over the Ducks. The game celebrated Rod Brind'Amour's 1000th point, and Rod picked up 2 more in the game.
In fact, the line of Brind'Amour-Whitney-Williams had 7 points in that game.
David Tanabe, playing in his first game since early December, surprised me with 2 assists on the night.
And my man Erik Cole finished the game off with a slap shot empty net goal.
Overall, I thought this was one of the best games the Canes had played all year.

And then came the Flyers game...
Canes lost 5-2 to the Flyers, handing them their 10th win of the season.
I can't actually think about this game coherently - I end up kicking something - so I'll recap it bullet-style.

  • Ray Whitney and Eric Belanger teamed up on both of the Canes' goals.

  • Carolina had 42 shots on goal, and still only scored two goals.

  • I'm going to add Rob Martell and Wes McCauley to the ever-growing list of refs that are horrible. (Including infamous names such as Peel, Koharski, and McGeough.) That was one of the worst called games I've seen in a long time.

  • How can the Canes beat the best team in the league one night, and then lose like this to the Flyers? Can anyone answer that for me?

Anyways... this is the first post of the year 2007. Happy New Year everyone!

Erik Cole stats (Friday): 1 goal
On the season: 16 goals, 20 assists

No comments: