Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Canes Win It All

June 19, 2006 will live in my memory forever. (Unless, y'know, I have head trauma or something like that. But I'll still remember it.)
The Canes have won the Cup.
Oh, the happiness!

The Cup-clinching Game 7 was a 3-1 victory over the Edmonton Oilers.
Wow, where do I start? Well, I saw Erik Cole play, which was awesome, considering I didn't think I would see him until preseason play next season. (I also saw him lift the Stanley Cup over his head!)
Both non-empty net goals were scored by defensemen from the point, which I thought was interesting.
There should have been a penalty shot in the second period. That whole 'the play stopped dead when he touched it' explanation is a bunch of crap. If the puck is covered in the crease, it's covered in the crease, and that is a separate penalty. But whatever.
The empty net by Justin Williams just sealed it. That was the point where it hit: They're going to win the Cup!
I grabbed confetti as it fell from the rafters. I'm going to keep it forever.
Cam Ward, with some of the saves in that game, deserved the Conn Smythe trophy.

Now the rest of the hockey world needs to give props to the Southeast Division. Two Stanley Cup winners in consecutive years? Something tells me that this isn't a cupcake division anymore.

When I'm depressed, just remind me of June 19, 2006. It'll cheer me right up.

This game was worth getting there 4hrs and 40mins before the puck dropped.

The Cup is ours!

No comments: