Friday, March 04, 2011

A Handy Guide to Dealing With Non-Sports Fans

So I don't do anything like this normally, but I wrote a little guide about dealing with non-sports fans for the univeristy radio station sports show blog, and I figured I'd cross-post a snippet of it here.

The most frustrating thing in the entire world is to be a sports fan trapped among non-sports fans.

Imagine this scenario: You happen to be with your guy friend, discussing the difficulties of beginning a courtship. You make a quick remark about making sure your friend doesn’t send the lucky lady a picture of himself in Crocs.

Aaaaannnnnddddd cue blank stare.

You then begin to explain the whole Brett Favre sexting controversy, only to have your friend respond:
"Wait, is that the guy who plays for the Packers?"

You then hastily change the subject, trying to resist the urge to crawl into the nearest corner and weep.

Welcome to my life.

Rarely does a day goes by without some sort of sports reference creating an awkward space in a conversation, or a blank stare at the latest news from the trade deadline. It's tough, because generally my friends are really fun intelligent people - they just happen to not like sports.

Using my vast experience dealing with the unenlightened, I've created a handy-dandy guide to dealing with the three most common types of the non-sports fan.


Want to read more? Of course you do. Check out the full post here. Or get the link from my Twitter. I'm not picky.

No comments: