Canada - USA
- Team USA won this game 5-3
- Canadian goalie Martin Brodeur - normally a stalwart in goal - had an absolute meltdown, making blunders that led directly to 3 USA goals
- USA also scored the first goal :41 seconds into the game, which did a lot for taking the rabid Canadian fans out of the game early
- Russia - Canada
- Unexpected blowout, Canada beating Russia by the score of 7-3 - might I remind you that Russia was supposed to be the favorite in this tournament.
- Alex Ovechkin was a non-factor in the game, although almost all of Team Russia barely showed up to this game.
- Mike Milbury, the outspoken NBC anchor, even went as far to say that Russia brought their "Eurotrash" game - when you can make Jeremy Roenick speechless, I do believe you've crossed a line.
- USA won 2-0 over the Swiss in a well-played game
- USA - Finland
- Complete blowout
- Miikka Kiprusoff was horrible - 2:04 into the first period he makes a very poor play on the puck that turns it over straight to Ryan Malone who hit it into an empty net. Needless to say, the Finns never recovered.
- Kiprusoff was pulled after the fourth goal only ten minutes into the first period, but that was too little too late - the final tally 6-0 after end of the first
- Final score was 6-1 after Finland scored one late in the third period. With this game, the USA advance to the GOLD MEDAL ROUND
- The Canadians controlled most of this game, the score being 3-0 at the end of the second, outshooting the Slovaks 21-9.
- Slovakia made it interesting with two late goals in the third period and a good last minute rush at the net - Pavol Demitra had a chance to tie up the game in the waning seconds but missed the net. Canada escapes with a 3-2 win to propel them into the Gold Medal Game
- Finland wins the bronze medal after a 5-3 match.
- Slovakia's special teams kept them in this game, as they did for most of the tournament. Slovakia's first two goals were scored on the powerplay, and their third was a shorthanded goal.
- Unfortunately for the Slovaks, the Finns came back and scored four goals in the third period, wrapping up their bronze medal run
Either way, though, the Americans come home with a medal which is more than many (including myself) expected and that in itself is a victory. But gold would certainly look nicer...