Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What the...?

Ok, so I go on to NHL.com, in my daily search of hockey news, when I see this headline:
Isles ink DiPietro thru 2021
I immediately think "That has to be a typo, right? It has to mean 2012. Right?"
Wrong. The Islanders signed Rick DiPietro to a 15-year, 67.5 mil contract.
15-years.
In 15 years I will be in my thirties, out of school (both under-grad and grad), and I'll be chillin in my million dollar mansion.
In 15 years, DiPietro will be 40.
This does not make sense. Let's be honest, DiPietro isn't the best of goalies right now. Sure, he's good, but he doesn't appear to be a Martin Brodeur. Signing him away for 15 years is illogical, because, say he stays where he is right now and doesn't improve. Say he doesn't get better and actually gets worse. The Islanders will have to keep him on the payroll for 15 years.
The only possible way this would turn out good, is if DiPietro does become the next great goalie. But what are the chances of that? What are the chances that he'll stay that good til he's 40? Very, very slim.
TSN has an article recording different reactions from around the league. My favorites:
' "Let's just say DiPietro takes off and he becomes a star and a top-five goalie and you have to pay him $7 million a year, let him go to another team if you can't afford him because you can get a pretty damn good goalie at $4 million every year," said an Eastern Conference GM.'
And, from a Western Conference GM:
' "Is he one of the 10 best goalies in the league today? I would say no right now," he added. "Unless his career is ready to take a big step forward, you've yourself an average goalie for $4.5 million a year. And you've got him for the rest of your life and Yashin for the rest of your life. Geez." '
Why would a team do this to themselves? Take such a risk when the chances of it turning out for the good are so little?
Oh, wait, this is the Islanders. Now I get it.

Anyways, moving away from the irrational...
Canes sold out the allotment of opening night games. Which is yet another reason why I can barely wait 22 days.
22 days!
At least I don't have to wait fifteen years...

No comments: